Sylvia has been a Trustee of COS since 2018, and find it rewarding to have been given the opportunity to join the board of a local user-led COS charity dedicated to supporting people with a sensory impairment to overcome their day-to-day challenges, achieve their potential and lead independent lives.
Sylvia's vocational experience has been in Nursing, Clinical and Teaching (lecturer). She is currently undertaking research in ancient studies specialising in an analysis of ancient writings.
· The role of Trustee is to support the oversight of the following COS Charity practices:
· Provide professional excellence by delivering specialist, hands-on, practical support
· Show integrity and demonstrate transparency and care
· Enhance our position as the preferred sensory services provider in North Wales
· Celebrate diversity and promote inclusion
Sylvia's aim to achieve the above is through:
· Have a commitment to the organisation
· Have a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
· Share a strategic vision
· Demonstrate independent judgement
· Demonstrate an ability to think creatively
· Have a willingness to speak thoughtfully regarding pertinent matters
· Have an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being a trustee
· Support senior staff and ensure staff are properly managed and supported.
Sylvia said her hopes in the impact she will make is 'to utilise my personal skills and experience to improve the lives of people with a sensory impairment in North Wales.'